Well, Saturday is my anniversary and we will have officially been married for six years. Damn, time flies. In less than a decade, we have started a life together, had two kids (with one on the way), traveled, purchased our first home and contemplated breaking up just as many times as we’ve said “I love you”. We aren’t perfect, but we are perfect for each other and that’s what counts, right?
While I love to post my life on instagram, Puffin is a bit more private. I will say that our love story in many ways is extremely conventional, and in many ways is extremely unique. We dated for roughly six and a half years before getting engaged and on Valentine’s Day, 2013 he finally got down on one knee and ordered me to marry him. Of course, I agreed and here we are.
We were extremely young when we got engaged. We both had just turned 24–babies! But we had been dating forever so we didn’t want to wait. Well, I didn’t want to wait. I was ready. His only request was that we wait until he was 25 years old because he didn’t want to be that guy, so we got married the day after his birthday. We got married on February 1st, 2014 and it was the most magical and romantic day of my life. I got to marry my best friend and soulmate and that day cemented our love for the rest of our lives.
By our third anniversary, we had welcomed our first son, Santi and our life together took on a new meaning. Our relationship was different and the way that I looked at him was different too. As a boyfriend, Santiago was fun, sweet and accommodating. As a husband he was romantic, easy going, supportive and the best provider. As a father–wow, I can’t begin to explain. His sons adore him and I adore him more everyday for being the absolute best. He’s not the best because he does things like change diapers or feed his kids, he’s the best because he is compassionate, loving, patient, hilarious, kind, you name it. People ask me how I can do it all–how can I have so many children (LOL), work, have time for instagram and going out. I’ll tell you my secret, I married the right person. He truly is my right hand and I hope I am his too. He makes it easy to do what I want and love. When I found out I was pregnant with baby number 3 and freaking out, he was so excited and happy that it made a daunting experience fun for me too.
I’m so happy and blessed to spend another year with him by my side. Yes, he drives me absolutely insane. We bicker constantly and laugh uncontrollably almost every day. We say “I love you” and “stop talking to me, please” daily. He both loves Red For Thought and hates when I film him. We disagree about the thermostat and what we consider a cute outfit for the kids, but we agree whole heartedly that we made the cutest kids on the planet and that if they weren’t so annoying, we’d have about five.
Fun Facts About Santiago (on the week of his 31st birthday):
- He’s hilarious. He’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever met but he’s subtle in his jokes and rarely says them in front of other people.
- He’s super weird. He does weird things like disinfect his hands and feet daily with alcohol after taking a shower, or ordering coffee with half a packet of raw sugar.
- He gets stuff done. I don’t know how, but he can fix any tv, phone computer, you name it. He’s very useful and I’m into it.
- He has a tough time letting certain little things go. If he gets a parking ticket, it’ll ruin his entire day. If he’s at a restaurant and he gets the smallest piece of food on his shirt or pants, the stain will consume him until he changes.
- He’ll say yes to almost anything. Initially his answer is always NO!!!! but he usually comes around and makes it a point to make everyone around him happy.
- He is annoyingly accommodating to people. We live at my parent’s house so anytime he leaves to buy something, he’ll text in our group chat 1,000 times asking if someone wants anything. Even if everyone says no, he’ll ask repeatedly just to make sure. It’s sweet and annoying at the same time.
- He’s too curious for his own good. If he has five minutes with you, he’ll ask you everything from your birth story to your social security number. His questions have no limits and he is unapologetic in his inquiry.
- He doesn’t like hanging out with a lot of people. Yes, he has friend. Yes, we go out with other couples. His preference, however, is to be alone with me.
- He’s the best dad in the world. He lives for his kids and is so proud of every thing they do. Every step, word, mouth food they swallow is an accomplishment for them and him.
6 Fun Facts About Us (on the week of our 6 year wedding anniversary):
- We’ve been together forever. On September 2nd, 2020, we will be celebrating 13 years together! That’s Santi’s life x 4 plus a year. Damn.
- We met at a Carrollton Christmas Formal. He was friends with the twins and tagged along. We became friends shortly after and BAM, 4 years later I was his girlfriend.
- He was my first and only boyfriend. Yes–I only dated Santiago and knew he was the one before we started dating.
- We laugh, a lot. Sometimes we laugh so much we cry and our stomach hurts.
- We bicker a lot too. About stupid stuff–the thermostat, why I ate in my car, why he buttoned Santi’s shirt to the very top.
- We spend a lot of time talking about the kids. We talk about the funny things they did or said, how cute they are, and more importantly, how annoying they are (you know, cause we many things but not delusional!)
Here’s to you, Puffin. I love you to the moon and back times infinity. I wish for us nothing but happiness and laughter. Oh, and Happy Birthday, babe! 31 looks good on you!